James E. Rivard
Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Waronzof Associates
, June 2006 - October 2009.
, February 2003 - April 2006.
- TeleSpectrum Worldwide
Inc., November 2001 - February 2003.
Logic Co., August 1998 - June 2001.
- A&F Service Co., October 1996 - June 1998.
- Sole Proprietor, Law Practice, May 1993 - Dec. 1997,
in the State of Washington
(inactive as of February,
Office in Moscow, Russia, business and immigration law foci.
- Visiting Professor,
Moscow University Touro,
Nov. 1993 - April 1994,
Business Law I & II, Legal Research and Writing.
Intensive courses on black letter U.S. and C.I.S.G. commercial law.
Addressed, in Russian, live audiences, and radio audiences.
- Representative, Seattle trade firm, May 1992 - May 1993,
living in Moscow and Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
Responsibilities included Customs clearance, banking and auditing of accounts,
office rental and office management, contacting government officials, evaluating local partners.
Tashkent Law School and various English language courses.
- Crew Member, AKC Corp., Sept. 1990 - Feb. 1991, 215 foot
fishing vessel, Dutch
Here are some links to newspaper articles about the "mutiny" and the
problems of the company, from
seizure of the ships under Admiralty Laws, to bankruptcy, to sale of the
vessels. A fun time was had by
Real Mutiny in the Aleutians?
Unhappy Crew Delays Unloading Trawler's Cargo
Trawler Captain Relieved of His Duties
Two Seattle Seamen Held in Trawler Brawl
Nest Egg Never Hatched (This is a good summary article.)
Pay Delay Protested
Alaska Trawler Ordered Seized
Scheduled Sale of Trawlers Raises Hopes
- Law Clerk, US District Court, W.D.N.Y., Hon. John T. Curtin, June - July, 1988.
Authored drafts of decisions, memoranda, provided research on state taxation of cigarette sales
on native American lands, outlined current trend in 2nd. Circuit "treating physician rule",
made preliminary selection of items in compelling discovery by party in large commercial litigation.
- Data Analyst, Phillips, Lytle, Hitchcock, Blaine & Huber, Buffalo, N.Y., Feb. - Aug. 1987, dioxin litigation.
- Steelworker, Republic Steel, Buffalo, N.Y. 1971-1982. 6 years
in a finishing dept, burner, grinder, chipper, crane operator. Last 5
years on the 8 inch bar mill as a catcher (or strander), catching
red-hot bars with a
pair of tongs (about 20 inches long), as the bar
came out of a rolling pass, then spinning 180 degrees with the bar, and
putting the bar into the next rolling pass, to be caught by the next
catcher, etc. The bars were moving at
about 6 to 8 feet per second. Here are some YouTube links to view the
From the Italian movie Acaiao (1933) bar mill strander / catcher.
Crucible Steel, Syracuse, N.Y. Watch especially the first minute.
Malkit Works Watch especially from 1:30 to 2:30.
Bascotecnia Steel - Rolling
Tre Valle part 1
Tre Valle part 2
Egypt plant part
plant part 2
descaling and rolling
- Juris Doctor, 1990, University at Buffalo Law School, State University of New York (SUNY).
- Order of Barristers.
- Jessup International Law Moot Court Board.
- Vice-Magister, Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity.
- Vice-President, International Law Society, helped organize international law conference.
- Author, independent study, The Soviet Political and Economic Basis of US-USSR Joint Ventures.
- Authored a paper on the development of dioxin regulation at the state and federal levels,
focusing on the Love Canal health emergency in Niagara Falls, New York.
- B.A., Geology, 1986, SUNY at Buffalo; Dean's List, 1984.
- McGill University, Montreal, exchange student, 1986.
- Computer programming, Pascal, LISP, including artificial intelligence, using mainframes.
- Radiation science, including neutron activation, using campus reactor.
- Chemistry of dioxin.
- Trilingual, English, Russian, French.
References available upon request.
- Enjoy camping, fishing, and bicycling.
- Former volunteer, Seattle Aquarium.